Wednesday 2 April 2008

Vegan Spelt Blueberry Muffins



The obsession with baking continues - quite a departure from how I usually cook but it is becoming quite addictive. I baked these beauties on Sunday morning before yoga and the boy munched them practically straight from the oven. I wanted to do something with the spelt flour I had from the pizza bases but also to do something vegan. I couldn't find an exact recipe to follow so I basically made something up using the excellent Veginity as inspiration but also combined with a few ideas from the huge amount of muffin recipes on offer from Fat Free. I didn't really fancy using an egg replacer as it somehow seemed too artificial, so I got moisture from homemade apple sauce instead. Overall, I was pretty pleased with the results and have been enjoying these for breakfast a few days this week.

Vegan Spelt Blueberry Muffins

One cup Spelt Flour

Half cup oat bran

1 Dessert spoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence

1/2 cup of blueberries

1/2 cup applesauce (I stewed 2 peeled apples in some water and honey, drained and pureed it)

1/3 cup agave nectar

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, then stir in the wet ingredients. Once the consistency feels right, pour into muffin cups in a muffin baking tray and bake for 25 mins at around 180 degrees or until a skewer comes out clean if poked into the muffins.

1 comment:

Helen said...

hi Tessa,

These look great! And fat free I love your cooking philosophy,lots of whole foods andhealthy, but still delicious and enjoyable.

Hippolyra