Tuesday 8 April 2008

Buckwheat Noodle Tofu Peanut Salad


Unashamedly, I stole my inspiration for this salad straight from 101 Cookbooks but of course I made a few of my own variations since we didn't have any peanut butter in the house. I've become a stricter vegetarian since reading Diet for a New America (although the Merguez were so tasty the other night and I will continue to eat chicken and seafood) so I guess it just seems right that tofu makes a re-appearance in my diet. Yes, I know Mark doesn't like it but I was really hoping that slathering it in delicious peanut sauce would help him force it down!

Buckwheat Noodle Tofu Peanut Salad

Buckwheat soba noodles
Green beans
Beansprouts
Peanuts
Tofu
Closed cap Mushrooms
Spring onions
Fried Garlic Flakes
Coriander

Peanut Dressing

Large handful of peanuts
Sesame oil
Boiling water
Dried red chili flakes
2 garlic cloves
Brown rice vinegar

Whilst cooking the noodles in some boiling water, I steamed the green beans and tofu in my bamboo steamers on top. In a saucepan, I water-fried the sliced mushrooms, spring onions and beansprouts. Meanwhile, I combined the dressing ingedients in my hand blender and blended until they reached a pouring consistency. I coated the noodles in the peanut sauce before mixing in the other ingredients and adding a sprinkle of fried garlic flakes for a touch of authenticity and some fresh coriander leaves for decoration.

No comments: