Monday 31 March 2008

Wild Rice Salad

Great minds think alike. And foods seldom differ. I made this beautiful dish for lunch and just the next day, one of my favourite blogs, 101 Cookbooks published this variation on the theme. Wholesome, filling and delicious, it was an ideal midweek lunch and filled both of us up nicely.

Wild Rice Salad

1 cup of wild rice, long grain brown rice and camargue red rice

1 aubergine

1 red pepper

1 red onion

handful of chopped sundried tomatoes

fresh flat leaf parsley

pine nuts

lemon juice

red wine vinegar

olive oil

Dijon mustard

mixed salad leaves (eg baby spinach, rockett)

Whilst the rice cooked in the rice cooker, I roasted the aubergine, red pepper and sliced red onion. I like to roast my aubergines in about an inch of water in the bottom of the dish. I'm not sure this is the correct way to do it but it certainly means you use less oil. Once the vegetables and rice are cooked, I literally just threw everything else into a dish and mixed it up. In a separate glass, I mixed a splash of olive oil, a teaspoon of mustard, a splash of red wine vinegar and made a quick vinaigrette to sprinkle over the salad.

No comments: