Thursday 17 July 2008

The Simply Beautiful Cocktail




In Saigon, drinking was a really big part of my life but after leaving there, I really felt like taking a break and actually barely drank for more than a year. Nowadays, I like the odd tipple but definitely have a weakness for good quality cocktails. No sugary syrup or grenadine, no colas or other fizzy drinks and I'm even looking into buying some organic spirits such as Square One Vodka. We needed a little pick-me-up on Monday night so I created the below cocktail which was absolutely divine, it is somehow so much easier to fool yourself that drinking is good for you if you mix it with pure fruit and fine ingredients. We didn't know what to name the new cocktail, but Al Green was playing in the background so we named it after that particular song which seemed pretty apt.

The Simply Beautiful Cocktail
One big glug of vodka
One big glug of cassis
One frozen banana
One handful of frozen blueberries
One handful of frozen raspberries
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
Juice of one pomegranate (just cut in half and juice each half on a citrus juicer as you would an orange)
Half a cup of almond milk
1 tablespoon agave nectar

Simply blend all the ingredients in a good quality high speed blender or use a hand held blender.

1 comment:

LisaRene said...

We think similarly when it comes to cocktails. I don't like any type of fizzy cola or even carbonated water in my cocktail. Never grenadine, which as you probably are aware is basically high-fructose corn syrup. If a recipe calls for grenadine I use pomegranate molasses instead. If I'm adding fresh lemon or lime I usually add 1 tsp of homemade simple syrup to get the "sweet & sour". I also like a strong drink!

I try to limit my drinking to Friday and Saturday night, usually 1 cocktail and then wine, this way it's more of a special weekend treat :)

Organic vodka, how great is that!

The Simply Beautiful Cocktail sounds very refreshing and is a meal and cocktail all in one :)